Monday, November 10, 2008

Feb 2003 Fish Stick Fridays




Lent is just around the corner. What are your memories of Lent? Growing up and attending Catholic School (especially after Vatican II), I didn't really fully appreciate the meaning of Lent or the wonderful traditions that can be celebrated throughout the season. For instance, when I was growing up, the big question was "What are you giving up for Lent??" Sort of like a delayed New Year's resolution or something. As kids, we normally would give up gum or treats (some kids had bigger goals but the kids I knew stuck with the "old" routine) Of course, we had Fish on Friday. Yum...FISH STICKS! Always Fish sticks...unless it was payday for my dad and then we might get Filet O Fish from McD's. (And soon the no treats resolution for Lent gave way to the complete rationalization/justification (ha ha) that a Shamrock Shake from McD's is NOT a treat but rather a wholesome milk product. Yeah right!Now though I think of Lent not so much as something that I have to give up...but more of what do I have to give?? What is harder...giving up that piece of cheesecake OR actually doing performing an act of kindness and goodness....JUST BECAUSE (and doing it in the name of the Lord for Lent....of course, that part should just remain between one performing the good deed and the Lord because the one thing God doesn't like is someone tooting his/her own horn.Also, the past few years, I have REALLY thought about the Lord's Passion and especially the time he spent on the cross. I ached with him when Peter denied him, I cried when I thought of the disciples falling asleep..(he just asked for ONE hour!!!) Think of that...just ONE hour God asks of us....how many of us give him that ONE hour a week by going to church and hearing the word of the Lord?I hope that someone reading this will find it his/her heart to return to church this Lenten season and to be there on Easter to celebrate the Risen Lord!Lastly, I suppose I should give a health update. First of all, thanks to all of you for your prayers. The power of prayer is just AWESOME!! I had a worrisome Chest xray back in October and had to wait for three months to get another one to see if I was going to need further treatment. When I had the xray, the spot was gone! So, that is wonderful news. I still have to have oxygen though as my lungs are scarred and I have pulmonary hypertension from the lupus and myastenia gravis.I am getting around really good with my new hip...now I have a "matched" set. I haven't set off any detectors yet. LOL! I am no longer in the wheelchair, no longer using the walker, and use the cane for short distances out in public. I still need the wheelchair for longer times out in public due to the oxygen problem but still this is a pretty major deal for me.Tom thanks all of your for prayers that you have said for him. It is so hard to be a caretaker for a loved one. I have so much respect for those of you out there who are taking care of a family member. Please say a special prayer for all caretakers out there!!

0 comments:

 
Template by Divalicious Designs